The Client’s Need
In FY16, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), tasked the AG team, via a broad based BPA, to identify competency gaps in 28 mission critical occupations (MCOs) department-wide and to utilize recommendations to close competency gaps to better support DOT’s missions and ensure compliance with OPM guidance. In support of this initiative, DOT required customized competency reports summarizing individual competency results for easy access and review by managers, employees, and department administrators.
Part of this effort, post the analysis and recommendations report, included utilizing AG’s customized web-based IT solution to store the comprehensive data-sets and to produce and deploy tailored individual reports across ten Operating Administrations (OAs). This followed AG’s initial survey and reporting effort designed to assess and analyze competency proficiency and gaps across the 28 MCOs at the individual, OA, and department-wide levels.
Our team implemented the following approach to develop a web-based solution for DOT:
- Customized Our Database. Using the data collected and analyzed during the initial survey effort, we designed customized databases with individual-level competency data for each MCO, along with OA and department level comparison data.
- Report Template Development. Our team designed a template for the individual-level competency reports, containing all necessary data for easy review.
- Report Production. AG’s web-based tool produced customized individual-level competency reports for employees and managers in MCOs and OAs across DOT.
- HRIS Customization and Report Deployment. The team also configured an online system with different access levels for employees, managers, and department administrators, such that employees could access their own individualized competency reports, managers could access individual-level competency reports for their direct reports, and department administrators could search by name, MCO, or OA to access relevant reports.
- AG’s web-based HRIS solution successfully produced and deployed almost 4,000 individual customized competency reports for DOT to use in evaluating and mitigating individual-level competency gaps.
- DOT employees, managers, and department administrators were easily able to access individual-level reports online using a unique login and password and could download reports in PDF form.